Thursday 10 April 2008

A Tribute to Marimekko

Oh dear. Today saw the launch of A Tribute to Marimekko. It caused a weird nationalistic feeling to take over me and I took a train at 10am to be in store shortly after it opened. As I was walking through the shopping centre to the H&M store I realised I walked faster and faster in this weird shopaholic state of mind. I HAD to make sure I'd get whatever I wanted. I'm not even sure why I got so excited about it. Did I really want clothes that had prints my Gran used to have for curtains so much? Maybe it is just that I have pretty much always liked especially the 1960s Marimekko designs and for once they'd be in my price range.

Obviously, when I got to the store I was faced with the reality that I was not in Finland and I didn't have to fight for the garments. I doubt there was a que outside the store before 10am when it opened. Anyway, I did enjoy being able to go through the clothes taking my time and I felt an odd sense of superiority when 'stupid English people obviously did not realise how cool Marimekko is'. To be honest though, I didn't find the line amazing, although there was this one dress (I tried to find a picture but could only find this. It's the long black and white one.) I'd decided I wanted in advance. With my luck though, the store had about 15 of those dresses all sizes 8 and 10 (that's 34 and 36 European). WHY?! Because I'd set my mind to it, I tried the size 10 one anyway, just to see if I had false hopes for that dress. I didn't. I think it's amazing and luckily there were my sizes in another store a couple of blocks away.

I didn't buy it. For some weird reason the dress that was actually my size didn't look as nice I thought it would have (mainly because it's a halter neck and with my boobs I can't feasibly wear it without a bra). Oh well, there was also this shorter dress that I liked and I can't decide whether they are worth it SO the boyfriend will have to come with me to the store and decide for me. (I'd hate to be my boyfriend.)

Also, as an addition to the library post below. I can't stress how much I HATE the people who leave their stuff on a desk for hours (there have actually been instances where I've been at the library at 9am and there were someone's stuff lying around until they came back at 11.30am) just because they know that if they take their notes and books and whatnot with them they'll lose their spot. That is just not on! These people effectively take the places away from people who would actually want to study there and then. I can understand going for a 20-30 min lunch or a cigarette break but really more than half an hour is just not acceptable. Especially during revision time when the library is actually FULL.

No comments: