Wednesday 23 April 2008

Top 5 Miserable Songs, pt I

The Walrus, a Canadian magazine published their list of 'The Saddest Music In the World'. This led me to wonder what would be my choices for the saddest songs. It was a long list and I realised they were more miserable/depressing than sad. However, I present to you here a top 5 of what I found to be the most miserable/depressing songs I know. Altogether I will present to you at least three of these lists because I couldn't just narrow it down to one single top 5. Therefore, here is Part I: Top 5 Most Miserable/Depressing Songs in general.

Note: This is by no means my attempt to find THE saddest songs ever, this is simply my humble opinion based on music I listen to/ have listened to in the past.

Baby Mine - from Dumbo



Can you really argue with this one? Although, I suppose it's more the context of the film that makes it so sad and depressing.


Hurt - Johnny Cash



I realise this is originally a Nine Inch Nails song, but since I'm not familiar with it and I think Johnny Cash just sounds so incredibly depressing, I chose this one. I think it speaks for itself really.


How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Al Green



So depressing. Also has links to at least one movie, which to me makes it even more depressing as it is featured in Notting Hill when Hugh Grant is just well depressed and heartbroken.



(It's Hard) Letting You Go - Bon Jovi



Oh gosh, I remember when These Days came out and I was just about to turn 9, I think, and I used to lie in the middle of our living room floor feeling sad listening to this when no one else was home. I didn't even understand the lyrics back then, but I thought it was the saddest thing I'd ever heard back then. It still is pretty damn sad, if you ask me. It's a fanmade video because it was never released as a single and thus doesn't have an official video.


Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie



This is my 'I feel so sorry for myself'-song. I'm forever grateful for the lovely Miss Maija for introducing me to it, even though it is definitely up there with if not the most depressing songs as such, then definitely up there with one of the most depressing songs I know. This is what I listen to when I think I'm miles apart from the boyfriend even though he's in the next room. It's just that kind of song.
It's a fanmade video because it was never released as a single and thus doesn't have an official video.


Bubbling under (these won't be included in any of the other top 5s, yet any of them could've easily replaced any of the above five songs):

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

Ain't no Sunshine - Bill Withers

Suicide is Painless - Manic Street Preachers

Street Spirit (Fade Out) - Radiohead

Nothing Compares 2U - Sinead O'Connor



No comments: