Wednesday 9 April 2008

Library

As it is revision time again and I'm trying hard to spend my days in the library (because for some reason I don't get any work done at home), I've come to remember how ANNOYING people can be in the library.

Note: the following is inspired by my personal experiences in a campus library.

Now, if I'm working in an area that is not one of the 'quiet study' areas I should be prepared to deal with people chatting etc. HOWEVER, it really ANNOYS me when people seem to be unable to turn their mobiles on silent or beep or at the very least turn the volume of their ringtone down. PFF. Fine, talk on the phone with a low voice but does the ringing really have to be loud enough for people to hear it in the next room as well? And still, even if talking isn't exactly banned in these areas, is it really that unimaginable to try to keep your voices down just a tiny bit. In a large room, with a high ceiling and 60+ people in there the noice accumulates even when people keep their voices down, so imagine what it sounds like when people don't even bother to do that. I just hate that kind of total disregard of other people. And again, I do understand it is not a 'quiet study' area, but still, there are many people trying to study. It is not the 'talk as loudly as you can' area either. PFF.

This post would be a bit pointless if all there was would be that paragraph above, thus, there is MORE.

All of the above is also true in the 'quiet study' areas. I do not understand what is so hard in keeping quiet. I can bring myself around to accepting short discussion to make plans for study breaks with friends etc. as long as people keep their voices down. But especially during revision time when the library is full of people studying WTF is wrong with people?! When you see an area full of people who have burried their heads in their books do you not understand that you are then not in a room where you chat with your mates. When these rooms are generally actually quiet all the douche bags gossiping about who slept with Jonathan next door last night infuriate me. If you want to talk to your friends the corridor/staircase is not more than 30 seconds walk away GO THERE, that is where you can talk as much as you want and pretty much as loudly as you want. Same thing with your mobile. If someone calls you, either don't answer it or take it to the corridor. PFF.

Oh, and one more thing. Be my guest and spoil your hearing before the age of 25 by listening to your mp3-player on full volume, but please do it somewhere else than in the quiet library rooms. If I want to listen to music while I study I want it to be what I've chosen myself. I will (and I have in the past) come up to you if you try to impose your annoying party tunes on me by having the volume of your player so loud that I can hear it 3 cubicles away clearly enough to sing along. If it makes me a bitch, so be it, but you should have some consideration to your fellow library goers. PFFF.

--------

On a completely different note, I flew to Manchester on Saturday (5 April) and in the evening it snowed! And it did so again on Sunday. I took some pictures but I don't have my camera with me now. If any of them worked out fine I'll post some here later.

No comments: