Thursday 24 April 2008

Top 5 Miserable Songs, pt. II

The Walrus, a Canadian magazine published their list of 'The Saddest Music In the World'. This led me to wonder what would be my choices for the saddest songs. It was a long list and I realised they were more miserable/depressing than sad. However, I present to you here a top 5 of what I found to be the most miserable/depressing songs I know. Altogether I will present to you at least three of these lists because I couldn't just narrow it down to one single top 5.

Note: This is by no means my attempt to find THE saddest songs ever, this is simply my humble opinion based on music I listen to/ have listened to in the past.


Here is Top 5 Most Miserable/Depressing Songs
because I went through my teenage angst between 1998-2002 (in no particular order).


Nebel - Rammstein




I thought this was possibly the saddest, most depressing, miserable - you name it - song even before I found out what the lyrics actually mean (needless to say I don't speak German). It's a fanmade video since the song was never a single and thus doesn't have an official video.


In the End - Linkin Park




Oh come on! Who hasn't been depressed by this one when they were young? It just adds to all the pain a teenager by default feels. And in the end it doesn't really matter.


From Sarah With Love - Sarah Connor




This is a bit of a silly choice and I definitely am not a fan of the song. The reason this is here is that I want to add in a silly little anecdote about an ex. My first boyfriend, after he'd broken up with me and told me he was going out with this other girl he sent me the lyrics to this song. And I was all like why?! What does this mean? Do you want to rub it in me? To this day I still don't understand why he thought it'd be a good idea. (In case this all doesn't make any sense I was very much depressed and heartbroken because of our break up for a long time.) Maybe he thought I could identify myself with the lyrics (which makes sense in a way) but as if I wasn't feeling horrible and sorry for myself to begin with. Did he really need to add to it all? Also, I think the lyrics are a bit stupid and I don't really get the meaning of the song. Pff, I say. Anyway, this is why this song made it to the list.


My Immortal - Evanescence




I bet this is pretty self explanatory. Oh what I'd give to relive the countless hours that were once spent feeling angsty and miserable and depressed (and OMG everything was just so HARD back then) listening to this. Or alternatively 'Hello' from the same album. I managed to tie this back to the above mentioned ex-boyfriend (seriously, I bet I would've been a lot less miserable if it wasn't for him), don't ask me how. Although, I suppose it's more or less obvious. Forgive me for the single version on the embedded video, it has that cheesy, horrible guitar solo that's NOT in the album version.


The Scientist - Coldplay




I had a hard time deciding between this one and 'Trouble' but ended up with this mainly because I relate it to the final episode of Cold Feet. It's the saddest thing ever and oh so miserable and depressing.

No comments: