Tuesday 20 October 2009

Why I don't like Finland, pt. I

So here begins a new series of posts (again, I hope I get to at least pt. II or even III this time around). In case you don't know, I moved back to Finland about a month ago and let me tell you, it has not been easy. First of all the boy is still in London, secondly, I (still) need to look for a job to get me some moneys to allow me to move away from my parents care and, thirdly, it's just not like London here. Or anywhere in the UK for that matter. At least not like the places I've been to.

Right, reasons why I don't like Finland. The first shocker came a week or two into my stay here when I spent Sunday night at my sisters house and got a lift from her to town on Monday morning. She had to be at her work for half seven so we had to leave a bit before 7am and I figured since I don't really need to be at work (I occasionally work at my dad's office) before 8am I could sleep a bit longer, skip breakfast and just get something from a coffee shop before going to the office. We got to town around 7.20 and I began my wander around the centre of the town in search of a place that would serve a sandwich, or croisant to accompany a cup of a hot beverage but it was quickly obvious that no place was open. In the end I found two places that opened at 7.30 but as I walked around I ended up moving closer to the office than those two places and just went into a corner shop that opened at 7.00 and got a juice carton and a croisant. I realise it's a small-ish city I live in (well close to) and there probably isn't a market for early morning breakfasts, but I'm not sure I want to live in a place where I can't get a bloody sandwich in the morning if I want one! If you get me. Anyway, this isn't the thing that sparked me to start this series of posts, but you'll get the other story in the next edition. Stay tuned.

(Sorry this one's a bit rubbish, but I guarantee the next one will be better.)

No comments: