Tuesday 13 January 2009

Because I like my chili.

This shall be a food post for a change. I wrote it because I've been off ill for a week now and am a lot better now and BOREDBOREDBORED, yet too lazy to do anything. Oh well.

I have found a new favourite food. I had a chili con carne at the boys parents whilst we were living there early autumn, it was my first since age 10 or something like that and it was AWESOME. After that, however, we sort of forgot about chili and stuck to our more usual dishes; different curries, stir frys and pastas. Lately though, we've started making chili nearly once a week. We do one big enough to last us for two dinners, and thus save money and it is always amazing. Today's one, I found exceptionally good, here's how we did it:

Incredients:

400-500g Minced beef (preferably lean, I'm not a big fan of random bits of something indescribable in my mince)
1-2 Onions (depending on size and strength)
1 Chili pepper (medium hot)
3 Peppers (this particular time we used two reds and a yellow)
Box of cherry tomatoes
Tin of red kidney beans
Jar of chili cooking sauce (this time we used a cheap one from Aldi, I think it's quite nice. The boy doesn't like things too spicy, so we've been eating medium spicyness ones.)

Rice (I prefer long grain with chili, but since we usually only have Basmati, that's fine too)
Tortilla crisps
Grated cheese

Preparation:

* Chop everything first. I like my chilies and onions extra small, peppers quite small and cherry toms in half. Beans can be as they are.
* Stick the mince in a pan (we use a wok, it's very handy with large amounts of food) and fry until quite brown.
* Add onions and chillies. Stir and fry for a bit. Then add peppers, stir them in and let things fry on medium heat for 5-10mins. If you like, you can also add some salt and pepper and such spices and flavorings.
* Add cherry toms and stir.
* Open the kidney bean tin and drain the water (if using chili beans or something alike, you can obviously use the juices too). Throw the beans in the pan and stir.
* Add the cooking sauce and rinse the jar with a tiny drop of water and pour it in as well. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and let simmer (if possible) under a lid for the time it says on the jar (usually between 15-25mins). The longer it gets to simmer, the softer the veg get and everything is nice and smooth and flavours are mixed and yumyumyum.
* (If required) rinse a suitable amount of rice and boil it according to what the package says.
* When the rice is ready, the chili should be pretty much ready too so deal it out, grate some cheese on top and serve it with tortilla crisps. It should be AWESOME. If not, you did something wrong and I'm not to blame!

-----

Realised I probably should've taken a photo of the chili tonight. But then again, I didn't think I'd blog about it when we had it. Perhaps I'll photograph the left overs when we eat them and add one then. Or perhaps not. I shall keep you in suspence. Muahhahahhaa! (That was an evil laugh, in case you didn't know.) Over and out.

No comments: