Sunday 2 March 2008

Movies

I've not been annoyed by much lately, which is annoying because it means that I don't have anything to write. I remember I was annoyed by things a couple of times whilst writing my dissertation but I resisted the temptation to update this blog, and now I can't remember what the things were. Therefore, this is going to be a boring non-whiney mid-post about the films I've seen at the cinema since the beginning of the year. So, two months have passed, and I've been to the cinema 11 times, I think it's pretty good. I do love student offers.

I'll just do this as a list. It's boring, I know, but oh well.


I'm Not There
- The Bob Dylan film by Todd Haynes, very good. Richard Gere was probably my favourite of all the Dylans if I had to pick a favourite, but they were all very amazing. Definitely worth seeing, and I suppose needs another viewing to completely appreciate it.

Paranoid Park
- One of my favourites this year so far (although this year there's only been one film I didn't think was really good). So beautiful with an entertaining story that the slightly gore-y bit in the middle which I thought was a bit surprising didn't really affect the overall experience. This is to say that I thought it didn't fit the style of the film, but then again, surprises are (almost) always good.

No Country for Old Men
- Very good. I wasn't sure I'd like it judging by the trailer, but it was quite frankly amazing. I liked the story, sound design was amazing and casting was really good. Especially Javier, I was amazed after I checked where I'd seen him before and realised he was Ramon in Mar Adentro!

Lust/Caution
- Definitely very good. (I really should stop saying 'very good'.) I thought the rather graphic sex scenes portrayed the relationship between the two main characters perfectly. In addition the story was gripping and surprising.

Sweeney Todd
- Just to get this out of the way, I really like Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera and I thought the recent movie version of it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure why I felt the need to say that, but there I said it. Anyway, I did like Sweeney Todd too. As far as musicals go, it can never take the place of Phantom in my heart, but then that's not really the point. It was visually amazing, Johnny was good, Helena was incredible BUT the young lovers, were NOT to my liking. The chic especially was just ANNOYING. I did my best to ignore them though, and left the cinema feeling pretty good about the film.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
- This one's a bit iffy. It was well directed and well acted. I don't think the script was very good and at times the use of what I suppose was supposed to be tension-building music was just annoyance-causing. Overall, it was alright, and I think I have a real soft spot for Ethan Hawke. I don't know why, but it is there.

Juno
- I liked Juno. Despite the music chosen having been a bit odd. (Yet, I do really like this song.) And even though Jennifer Garner annoyed the hell out of me, I still thought the story was good and it was funny and well, I'd love to have CJ Greg as my stepmother.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
- This was just amazing. It wasn't preachy, it wasn't shocking, it was just honest. It simply felt so real I'm not sure I've ever seen a film that felt so real. (And still I was slightly annoyed by the use of light in some scenes, although, I decided it was because it made me uncomfortable which again was simply because it made it feel so real. If that makes any sense.)

There Will Be Blood
- I didn't expect to like this at all. The trailer really didn't make my juices flow, but with all the fuss about PTA and Daniel Day Lewis, it was a must see. And I'm glad I did. It is very good. All I've got to say is 'I am a false prophet. God is a superstition.'

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
- I walked out of the cinema deeply moved and still weirdly displeased with the movie. But having given it some thought, I've come to the conclusion that it was the fact that I kept on crying for most of the second half of the film that made me so uncomfortable. This is an amazing film (so I stop saying 'very good' and now everything's just 'amazing') and everyone should go and see it. It is BEAUTIFUL and MOVING and AMAZING.

Be Kind Rewind
- Now, I don't like Jack Black. But I liked the idea of Be Kind Rewind, so I went along to see it. And then, I didn't really like it. I think the story had potential and was actually rather endearing and all, but I wish it didn't have Jack Black. It just seems to me that everything I've seen Jack Black in (High Fidelity, School of Rock) he always plays the same role and it's always equally annoying. I really WANT to like High Fidelity, for example, but for some reason I don't. I think it's because of Jack Black. Yet, I'm looking forward to seeing Margot at the Wedding, and I'm hoping in that Jack will prove me wrong and will be very good. Or at least less annoying.


There, that's done now. I'll try to get something a bit more substantial done the next time. Chances are, that during the next few weeks, when I'm meant to write a load of essays, there will be some whining.

No comments: