Wednesday 26 December 2007

Christmas

I'm starting to be pretty fed up with christmas. I started to be pretty fed up already before CHRISTMAS to be honest. Once again most of my friends and family were stressing over what to give and for whom etc. I find all that so ridiculous. Well, maybe that's a bit too harsh a word, but there's just way too much stress with the whole gift giving stuff.

This year, I again decided not to give anything to anyone, with the exception of the boyfriend, but things I got for him were for his birthday and christmas jointly. And I wasn't expecting to get much myself, however I did end up having more than I thought I would. Although it was mainly money. BUT to be honest, I think people should give more money than things. I mean, what's the point in getting your middle-aged parents/aunts/uncles etc. things that they'll say they love but really don't need nor want. People have too much stuff anyway. (I'm not trying to say I don't have too much stuff, but I'm happy enough not to get more stuff because most of the presents I get I get from Finland and I've made it clear that I DO NOT want any stuff because I can't take much stuff with me to England.) But really, even though giving money might seem a bit unimaginative or even cold, at least for me, being a student it is always welcome. And for someone who already has everything, at least money might not be completely wasted. If nothing else, they can use it to buy a nice bottle of wine.

Hmm, I have a feeling this is all mindless ranting again and doesn't make much sense. Oh my.

I find that I don't really enjoy christmas as much anymore. I think it's because of the stress surrounding it. This year it's been especially bad, partly because of the unbearable stress of uni work on top of the normal christmas stress. But really, I think that christmas should be just being with family and friends, not having to worry about anything. And to be honest, it did happen this year and it was nice (the best part was (as always) having drinks with my sister and parents after everyone's gone and just chilling.) There weren't too much presents and there wasn't too much stressing and it was all rather painful. But also, I don't really understand why does it have to go on for three days. Two is fine, our family at least has grown too big to see all at once, but really, after two days we've all seen each other enough already.

I think this is enough now. Don't have much more to say. Maybe to conclude... one of the best presents I've ever had was a towel from my aunt and uncle, they gave towels for everyone, they had named them and it was good. It was so simple, practical and HOME MADE. Also, my sister this year gave chocolate covered Rice Crispies to people and it was good too, we made them ourselves (I was helping her out) and they were all eaten and they were good. Really, there's no need to spend so much. Why, oh why, do people feel the need to spend so much? And to be frank, it's not only around christmas time, people spend too much anyway.

One more thing, apparently this year there was a growing interest (in Finland) to give "ethical" presents (not that I know of anyone who did). By ethical, I mean donating money to charities and thus giving a goat, or a cow, or a well in someone else's name to people in developing countries. I think this is a wonderful idea, and I would've loved it had someone put the money they used for my present towards buying a goat or whatever. Because really, I don't need anything.

I hope everyone's had a lovely and stress-free christmas. And to clarify, I do like getting presents, I just think that a good present is one that's not been bought under pressure because you have to give something for someone for christmas. I'd much rather get a random present at a random time of year just because someone thought that'd be something I'd really like. If you know what I mean.

No comments: